top of page

Heidi's Story

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Larry was a strong, healthy 78-year-old man who still worked his heart out running several businesses. He camped, rode horses, farmed, and loved his family more than anything!

It was so hard to believe that my healthy, happy, active Love of my life could be wasting away.

No Remdesivir!

“Oh, and he was given his last dose of remdesiver.”

Our story started on Tuesday, Sept 20th, 2021.

Larry was a strong, healthy 78-year-old man who still worked his heart out running several businesses. He camped, rode horses, farmed, and loved his family more than anything! Larry woke up with a cough and didn’t think anything of it. He had camped the weekend before and had slept with windows open and just thought it was an allergy issue. His “fall cough,” as he called it. He gets it every year. Larry never complained of a fever or body aches. He continued to go about his life working and getting things done like he always did. Never did we think he had Covid. Sunday, his oxygen was terrible. Larry had to be taken to the ER. Larry’s oxygen levels were dangerously low. And this is when the horror story began. Larry was admitted to BELLIN HEALTH GREEN BAY WI on Sunday, September 26, 2021, and sent to the Covid ICU with Covid pneumonia, ARDS, and hypoxia. He was given oxygen medicine and watched closely. Confident that he would get the necessary care, we would see him soon. The doctors and nurses were told NO Remdesiver!! We knew how deadly this medication was. He was immediately taken to Covid ICU. I also had Covid, so our granddaughter and daughter made many daily calls to the hospital for updates. Some days it took hours to get an answer to our calls. We were told he was doing well most

days, and when asked about what medications he was on, they failed to tell us Remdesivir. On the 5th day, the nurse slipped and stated the medication list and at the end said, “oh, and he was given his last dose of Remdesiver. They started sedating him almost right away. Precedex and Morphine the first night he was there. Precedex should not be given for more than 24 hours, and he had five days of it.

Last Words

Then the constant calls began about the ventilator. We were constantly told he would be put on a ventilator. We were a NO vent family!! We knew how dangerous vents were and very aware that the outcome wasn’t good! On Sept 31st, Dad Face Timed me. The hospital had been pressuring him to say yes to the vent. We decided only if his life depended on it. At this point, they gave him another round of Remdesiver and added Barnitcab. Dad was a fighter, and the first round didn’t kill him. (on the records we received second round is removed). This began his daily decline. We called many times a day and were told he was doing well and improving at one point; they even talked about plans for when he went home. All were lies. He wasn’t given food, and he was left to lay in bed. As all this was going on, our daughter had a bad feeling something was not right. She wanted to get him out of there. She was told she would be arrested and left in jail until our dad was released from Covid ward! Why?? To give them time to finish their killing. Our father’s iPad and phone were not given to him unless they were with him. He had no way to inform us what they were doing to him! The day before venting, we all talked to him on FaceTime as we did daily. He seemed good something did happen the previous night that he stated he would speak to me when he got home. He apparently fell when using the restroom. We have no idea of the details. He had a good conversation with one of his granddaughters that night before bed, and they talked for 5 minutes or so, and he was doing well. “All I do is lay here. I could walk out of here today!” He said last day we spoke to him. The day he was vented, we will never forget we called all day to face time him Face Time was always at 10 am. We received no calls. We continued calling. Finally, a nurse answered at 3:30 pm. We were told he had a good day. He was sitting in the chair, and oxygen stats were doing well!! The nurse was asked about all the talk of venting. She replied no, he would not he be vented.

5:30 that same day, I got the worst call of my life. Larry is on the iPad with a nurse saying he needs to be vented!! Larry was in the background. NO! The nurse called me back, saying he could no longer make his own decisions. Insisting I needed to decide now!! I said yes as a means to save him!!

This would be the last time I spoke to him.


“We asked for a sedation vacation as the hospital called it so we could talk to him. They did the sedation vacation, so they say, but he never woke up.”

The night Larry came out of the Covid ICU, his lactic acid was through the roof, and his hemoglobin was dangerously low. Tests confirmed lactic acid was high and hemoglobin low. That night he needed a blood transfusion as his hemoglobin was dropping. We prayed all night. We stayed the night in the waiting room!! My daughter went into his room the following day to see what was going on miraculously; he made it the night. All tests showed the bleeding had stopped. From this day on, we never left him alone except at night when they made us leave. Larry was continually sedated (and strapped to the bed). When we asked to stop, we were told he was fighting the vent!! We wanted him to fight, which meant that he was still there and had a chance!! Saturday, Oct 16th, we got to the hospital early. He was heavily sedated. His heart rate was 30 and lower for most of the day! We watched as they adjusted and added medication. We asked for a sedation vacation as the hospital called it so we could talk to him. They did the sedation vacation, so they say, but he never woke up. We accused them of overdosing him!! They took him off the morphine at once. Larry still did not wake up that day!! We tried to stay the night but were made to leave.

Slipping Away

“He no longer responded to touch or could acknowledge us!.”

The following day we arrived; we were told we made him uncomfortable by taking the sedatives away!! After that day, the sedation went back on. They started giving him fentanyl and ketamine at that time. He was slowly slipping away. The restraints were removed. He no longer responded to touch or could acknowledge us!! .. Before this, he could hold our hand and cry at times. We questioned his medication again, and the nurse listed he was back on Precedex!! We told her how terrible that medication was and to get him off it at once!! Precedex is known to remove oxygen out of the blood. Why on earth would you give this to someone needing oxygen! The nurse could not answer. We never saw her again. (agitation, slow heartbeats; weak or shallow breathing, cough; feeling light-headed or short of breath; muscle weakness; bradycardia, respiratory failure, Atrial fibrillation. These are the side effects). Larry had them all. We were never told much after this point, except he was a very sick man.

A Fighter Till The End

The story for the next 20 days stays the same. He was over-medicated. Both his heart rate and O2 went up and down… His kidneys were not filtering correctly, and he retained fluid like crazy. Palliative care was on us often to just let him go. As well as doctors and nurses. We just couldn’t. It was so hard to believe that my healthy, happy, active Love of my life could be wasting away. Finally, we had some hope. They talked about a trach, but we had a really small window to do it, and we all agreed to try. That never happened as his kidneys were too bad. We were then told he would need dialysis for the rest of his life if he made it through. And there was no way his lungs could recover. Upon getting medical records, we learned all the meds they had given him. Decron Steroid, Propofol, Ketamine, Morphine, Fentanyl, Seroquel Remdesivir Bicarnib Plus more… So many of these meds caused him side effects. Yet, it didn’t matter to anyone, and no one would listen to our cries to stop them. We finally had no choice but to make the hardest decision ever and had to let him go on Nov 06, 2021, after 42 days of suffering and fighting like hell.. 42 days. If that doesn’t tell you, he is a fighter!!

697 views0 comments


Any use of including implementation of any suggestions or stories on the site and/or use of any resources available on does not create a professional relationship between that entity and or any of it’s professionals.

All content on this site and corresponding blog is for informational purposes only.  All stories and imagery published were granted permission by the author. All other unaffiliated sites must get explicit permission from the authors themselves to republish.

created by Greta Crawford

bottom of page